Summer Morning Routine for Kids
The question always comes up sooner or later, usually sooner rather than later. What question? What can we do? I’m bored. You know that question, right? I have a house with 8 and 9-year-olds who like to have a list of things that need to be done before they can invade each other’s Minecraft world.
In addition to their Summer weekly chores of helping clean the house, I’ve come up with a daily list that needs to be accomplished before anyone can go outside, go to the library, or turn on electronics. Here’s the run-down.
These don’t have to be done in any particular order, but the kids know that we’re not going anywhere or turning on any tablets before the list is completed each morning.
- Make your bed
- Pick up items off the floor in your room and put them in their rightful place.
- Brush your teeth
- Brush your hair
- Read a book for at least 30 minutes
- Eat breakfast
- Get dressed *if not deemed a PJ day – those are fun to have on random days throughout the Summer break
- Write in your composition book after getting your writing prompt for the day. *Usually 3-5 sentences
Need some writing prompts for kids?
I have a list that grows almost every day. I’ve been trying to think of fun, exciting prompts that get their wheels turning. Sometimes they get so excited that they write a whole page! I know Summer is a relaxing time for everyone but I think that the writing prompts to allow the kids to stretch their imagination in a fun way and breeds more creativity.
- What language would you like to learn and why?
- What is your favorite ice cream flavor and why?
- Ice cream cones or sundaes and why?
- Popsicles or Ice cream and why?
- What is your favorite food and why?
- Favorite book you’ve read this Summer and why?
- What is your favorite chore and why?
- Who is your favorite singer and why?
- Describe what you would see if you were a kite.
- Pretend you’re a butterfly coming out of its chrysalis.
- Describe your favorite 4th of July fireworks.
- What is your favorite holiday and why?
- Who is your favorite teacher and why?
- Pretend you were your favorite color. How would you feel?
- What would you do if you woke up with wings for arms?
In addition to the library, outside play and swimming in the pool this Summer, we’re heading to the beach and have playdates scheduled with friends. I’m looking forward to every day of the Summer and watching the kids just be kids and letting them learn along the way.
Keep an eye out for more writing prompts! I’ll be posting them soon.