I asked my hubby for his Sloppy Joe recipe yesterday after I mentioned it on Facebook and everyone was interested.
His reply to me…”I don’t have a recipe. I just wing it!”
So here’s his “base” recipe and you can adjust all ingredients to your taste.
Hubby’s Kitchen Sink Sloppy Joe Recipe
- Preheat skillet with Tablespoon of oil, we use olive oil.
- Add 1 medium onion, chopped. Cook for 4 minutes on medium-high.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 1 pound ground meat, (we like ground sirloin or turkey, but any ground meat works).
- Add seasonings to meat while cooking. Add amounts to your liking.
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon Oregano (Italian Seasoning works too)
- Pinch of Smoked Paprika
- Once the meat has browned, drain fat. Set to Medium-Low.
- Add squeeze of Dijon mustard, A1, Teriyaki & Worcestershire Sauce.
- Add 1/4 cup ketchup
- Add 3/4 cup of sweet barbecue sauce
- Let it simmer for a few minutes, until warm and sauce is thickened.
- Taste and adjust ketchup/barbecue sauce amounts to your liking.
If your family likes it spicy, add some Red Pepper Flakes.
Serve on hamburger buns. We just tried them on these bakery pretzel rolls and they were delish!
Hubby has also tried these additions in the past: Salsa, Hoisin Sauce, Pizza Seasoning & Pancake Syrup (not all at the same time!)
We eat Sloppy Joes all the time and we haven’t used the canned stuff in 10 years. What he makes is so much better! Once you try it, you’ll never go back. Enjoy!