Pumpkin Poke Cake
‘Tis the season for pumpkin. Pumpkin lattes, pumpkin pies, pumpkin Alfredo (really?), but I have a new favorite pumpkin recipe. The pumpkin poke cake. It is so easy to make and only a few ingredients. I used box cake mix (and got two box tops for eduction – it’s the little things that make me happy), but you could always make your own cake mix.
The kids helped with the measuring and mixing (adding a bit of learning while making our dessert). I’m thinking that this will be my dessert cake for Thanksgiving. Feel free to change it up and make it your own, this is just a basic recipe.
- 1 Box Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 14 or 15 oz. Can Pumpkin Puree
- 1 14 oz. Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 -1 Tablespoon of Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 1/2 Cups Whipping Cream
- 1/4 Cup Confectioner's Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 - 1 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 Cup Caramel Syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- With a mixer, combine cake mix and pumpkin puree.
- Add pumpkin pie spice to taste (we used 1/2 TBSP and it was perfect).
- Pour into prepared 8x8 baking pan and place in oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven once a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to rest for 25 minutes.
- Poke holes in cake using the end of a wooden spoon
- Pour entire can of sweetened condensed milk over top of cake, pushing into the holes with the wooden spoon
- Allow to sit until cake is completely cooled
- Pour whipping cream into a large bowl and use mixer to beat until soft peaks form (2-3 minutes)
- Add confectioner's sugar and vanilla. Continue blending until stiff peaks form (1-2 minutes)
- Spread topping over cooled cake and top with mini chocolate chips and caramel